Web

1/18/2013

Dinner With Our Amish And English Parents

Tonight we had our parents here for dinner. It was a quick and easy dinner that looked like I slaved in the kitchen all day. But I came home, after being gone all day and only had a short time to give this dinner the throw down.
I didn't fuss much but wanted my guests to feel special. I tied raffia around some white paper napkins I had.
Simple and easy that put a special touch to the table setting.
For the drink I put two five alive frozen concentrate with 1 two litter diet (cranberry flavored) sierra mist and add about a quart of water. Lena's hotchpotch mix. Never poured it together before but that's what I had on hand and they loved it.
The peppers were on sale at Rodhes so I got all 3 colors.
This morning when I was waiting on a appointment and had time to spare I sat and got inspired by Pinerest to see what I want for my menu. Got a idea then ran with it with coming up with my own mixed together recipes.
This picture inspired me to make a wedge salad.
So I sorta came up with my own recipe:
I cut a head of ice burg into 6 wedges
Topped with Hartville Kitchen Ranch Dressing
Drizzled with balsamic vinegar
Top with feta cheese,tomatoes,bacon bits, scallions
Salt and pepper
Love these colors! lightly sauteed them.
While I browned these chicken breasts and seasoned.
Topped the partly cooked chicken breast with the veggies. Baked at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Then brought out and let set in juice till half hour before was ready to serve. Poured the juice off and
mixed these cream of chicken and mushroom(had no idea they came this way till I spotted them today) with Worcestershire sauce and garlic salt.
First I put swiss cheese on them then, spread the soups on top. Baked again for 30 min at 350.
BAM! They told me it was great:)
For simple and easy I bought these ready made mashed potatoes.
Baked them in a 9 X 13 pan till hot and topped with velveeta cheese,bacon bits and those crispy onion crunch (found by bacon bits). Baked 1/2 hour at 350.
Also made this pull apart parmesan garlic cheese bread. You can find that recipe on my Pinterest board on the food board.
Topped off our dinner with a pumpkin roll served with 1 scoop of coffee ice cream and 1 scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. I also drizzled carmel sauce on top.
This was my favorite part of the night as our parents and us sat and visited. My hearts filled with warmth and appreciation on these 4 elders that have allot to do with who we are today.
Also looking forward to having supper at my parents house tomorrow night with Allen's Mom and family. She is planning on having homemade ice cream and pizza. 
Our parents are becoming the age where we don't know how much longer they will be with us. We don't spend as much time with them as we should but weekends like these make you feel happy and loved.
 
Thank God for dishwashers,parents and pinterest!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Looks delicious, Lena! You inspire me to cook something out of the ordinary...

Unknown said...

All too soon we have only memories of our parents. The more good memories, the better.

Blogging tips