Web

12/23/2013

Ohio Amish Country Christmas Foto Duo

 This Foto Blog Duo is a fun project I did with a local talented artist who captures some stunning pictures. She also lives here in the heart of Ohio's Amish Country. I have been admiring her work and her gift of thinking outside the box when she does family photo shoots.
This week, I put into action what I've thought about doing for awhile--blogging a photo project together. I contacted her yesterday and she was game. We did some brainstorming and had fun with this by the seat of our pants. It started yesterday evening and the deadline is tomorrow morning by 10 a.m.
We were given six titles, as you can see below, then we were to take a picture illustrating that title. In the end, we would put this project into a blog form, as this one.
Thankfully, Alyssa Miller from Lyssa Ann Photography loved the spur-of-the-moment challenge as well.
1. FREEING OF THE MIND

Alyssa:
Free yourself from the chaos of the Christmas season. I wanted to show that you're never too old to believe, or free your mind.

Lena:
Gifts don't make you happy. It's what's in your soul.

 2. CHRISTMAS IN THE COUNTRY

Alyssa:
I was shooting this with a pine tree in the back, but then I happened to look over only to notice the Amish buggies in the back ground. It couldn't have been more perfect.

Lena:
This has been a favorite house of mine to capture seasonal pictures. It is within a mile from our home. I took this on the day after the strong winds came through Holmes County. The Christmas decorations withheld to storm; however, the old awning did not. I think it's safe to say it has served its purpose for many years.

3. OFF THE BEATEN PATH

Alyssa:
Is that Santa coming down the lane?? Does he really wear jeans?

Lena:
I went down a road I have never traveled before to capture this one, which is hard for me to do. Since I like taking pictures, I go on many road trips in the rolling hills of Holmes County.
There is a little story with this picture. There was an old barn with an amazing rusty old truck out in the middle of nowhere with no house close by. As I drove up the lane, I exclaimed, "AW, THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING!" I was so intent on capturing the treasure that my focus was on the photo op, not the barbed-wire fence between the prize and my vehicle! YIKES! It made Sydni laugh out of control, and, fortunately, no harm was done to our van.
I promised Allen I wouldn't drive through high waters, but he never mentioned driving through fences.


4. WONDERS OF A WOMEN


Alyssa:
In the back of every woman's head is her nagging conscience from eating those Christmas cookies.

Lena:
My Amish mother using her old-fashioned egg beater to make pecan pies for her kids. Yes, they were wonderful.


5. WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY?


Alyssa:
So, yeah, Little Red Riding Hood actually had a run-in with a wolf, but we'll look past that. My inner child came out shooting this, and I totally want to continue re-creating more childhood narratives.

Lena:
Do you see the fox?


6. CHRISTMAS IN A NUT SHELL


Alyssa:
Squirrels like nuts, right?

Lena:
This time of year requires extra patience. Make sure you don't miss opportunities to help others along the way. I was delighted to see the Amish buggy in the background.

I have to share a little example of that, in relation to this picture. After the first shoot of Sydni and Daisy the freshly-groomed dog running through a muddy field, Syd throwing the gifts to the wind, we returned home with me frustrated that little miss Daisy was along to begin with. When we left the house the second time, we came across this turtle on the road, and Sydni screeched "MOM! STOP! We have to help that turtle off the road before it gets run over."


This picture wasn't in the contest, but was too good not to share. She nudged the turtle to safety, I directed traffic.

This has been so fun and has stretched me in new ways. I'm hoping you enjoyed the way Alyssa and I looked at the Christmas season.
Here is Alyssa's link to her blog to see how she wrote her version of this #OACchistmasfotoduo blog:

We also had fun hash-tagging this project on our Instagram accounts:

Alssya's

Lena's









No comments:

Blogging tips