Web

7/09/2014

Repurposing a Dresser for a TV Stand with Mustard Seed Milk Paint


This past rainy Monday, between taking care of my Mom and washing laundry, I indulged in a little therapy session with this retro dresser.


I've been on the lookout for an affordable TV stand in our living room, so when I saw this piece, I knew it was "The One."

First, let me back up a bit and tell you what has been going on in my life this past week. My mom had hip replacement surgery a week ago. She lives next door, so I've been helping her with showers, food, laundry, and general assistance when my Dad is at work. She is doing fairly well but still needs help with bathroom visits and things like that. I'm thankful she is always grateful and very determined to get back to normal as soon as possible.

This past weekend was a busy one for us, and my two sisters pitched in to take my place of caretaker.

My girlfriend and I had a booth at a local Vintage Fair here in Amish Country, and Allen's family also had their annual campout, so I was feeling a little sluggish this Monday morning and decided to do something I enjoyed--something that inspired me further in my plans to complete an all-white makeover in our open living area in the near future.


I told my Mom I'd be gone one hour, max, to pick up my chicken food and the dresser.
Well, little did I know that the road would be closed and I'd have to take a detour. I really didn't mind since it took me past my favorite Amish family, the one that sells an abundance of fresh vegetables and berries.

The sweetie in the photo is Mandy. She is always playing with a bunch of little boys using this beloved wagon. Notice the old wheels on it. In the background, you can see Big Bertha and Sophia's siblings. You can read about how I got our lovely ladies at this homestead here.


Okay, back to the dresser. I brought it home and decided to go ahead and repurpose it right away.


I had the materials to do it, so why not? For a treat to myself after my Shed Opener Vintage Sale, I had gone on Amazon and ordered a couple of bags of Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint.
I still had some of her hemp oil and sandpaper along with a clean paint brush.


I almost couldn't wait to get started on it. I used the color Grain Sack.


When the hubby came home for lunch, I made black raspberry soup for him and the kids. You heard right! Black raspberry soup! All you have to do is mix some brown sugar and raspberries in a bowl, add your milk and chunks of bread, and you have yourself some delicious cold soup. I've had many a bowl in the summertime. We also make it with mushed bananas and peaches or strawberries. Every time I make it they say, "Why don't you make this all the time?"


Back to work! I quickly hand-sanded the ugly old dresser, then wiped it down with a dry rag.


What's nice about milk paint is you don't see the nicks and scratches after you get done with it. To mix it, you simply add water 50/50 with the powder.


Here, you can see the difference in the first and second coat. You aren't dealing with any chemicals or unpleasant aroma when you use the Mustard Seed Paint, either.


I had some metallic spray to give the knobs new life.


After two coats, I quickly sanded it back down to give it a distressed look...


...then wiped it again with a dry rag followed by a coat of hemp oil over the whole dresser--though I guess I should now call it our new TV stand!


I was so happy with how it turned out! It looks even prettier in person. I think it would also be a great buffet.


I could have given it another coat and not distressed it, but I kind of like the new shabby chic look it has.


I love the smooth texture!


So this is the new purpose for this therapy piece. Of course, I had to show off these two old vintage fans.


When I was all done, I cut up 15 pounds of rhubarb that I had picked up from the farm that morning. We'll make our own homemade wine with the rhubarb. Yum!

Thanks for reading, and cheers to a great Monday!

No comments:

Blogging tips