Web

4/12/2013

Amish Food Traditions

This morning as I was spreading my honey on my toast a flood of memories came back of my childhood.
We had food traditions and I believe many families do, not only among the Amish.
On Saturday afternoon my mom would bake bread and we'd sit and spread butter and honey on it when it was still warm.
 
When we'd have summer rain storms we'd celebrate with popcorn and grape juice. That was a Sunday afternoon special too.
When we'd get a snow storm we made homemade ice cream.
When we had Birthdays we'd have homemade pizza and ordered in if we got lucky.
Saturday night dinners were usually hot dogs and ice cream.
Sunday mornings when we had church it was coffee soup. (The Amish only have church every two weeks)
I captured this picture yesterday. I imagine these little boys are making memories that come from tradition also.
Here are a couple food traditions I grew up with as a Amish girl. What were some of yours?






2 comments:

Lynne said...

Sundays after church: grilled hamburgers, buns, and onions on the griddle of our new stove.
Saturday: mom always made cinnamon rolls from yeast dough and Grandma H always made and delivered a fresh pie
Birthdays: grandma made us these adorable lambie cakes covered in coconut
Sunday evenings: egg sandwiches with homemade ketchup
Summers: creamy lettuce over fresh boiled potatoes
Gramma G: always made brown butter to put on the mashed potatoes and made homemade bread every week

Unknown said...

Almost every Saturday night we had soup, our favorites were Amish Bean Soup and Tomato Soup. We had to eat Rival Soup too at times even if it was nobody's favorite.

Blogging tips