Web

5/09/2013

What Is Ascension Day?

As I was sipping my coffee this morning I watched this one of many buggies passing by to go see family and friends.
Today is Ascension day and the Amish have it as a holiday same as Christmas or other holidays where they keep it holy and don't work.
SO WHAT REALLY IS ASCENSION DAY?
Ascension Day is officially celebrated on a Thursday on the 40th day of Easter, or 39 days after Easter Sunday. Some churches in the United States join forces to celebrate a combined Day of Prayer and Ascension Day service, which may include a time for reflection. A few churches also organize a "church crawl", where people travel from one church to another and experience the different prayer events.

Other churches may feature combined cathedral choirs that offer a special solemn Eucharist written especially for Ascension Day. A social time usually follows the service. Some Lutheran churches hold a special ceremony where the Paschal candle is extinguished and removed after the reading of the gospel on Ascension Day.
Every year my friend from Cleveland drives down to Amish Country and I help her navigate her way to all the best Amish greenhouses in the area. (blog to follow) Well today was the day we had planned for that. Bad idea! For they are all closed today.
You won't see the Amish working in their fields today.
Or their gardens. As I looked out my kitchen window I seen Mom's garden all ready for her to plant, but it will have to wait till tomorrow.
You also won't see Amish produce stands and roadside basket sales open today.
As I sit on my back porch this morning reflecting on what Ascension Day really means. I'm feeling beyond blessed that he arose again. So today I'm going to celebrate by not working either;)
Enjoy this beautiful day in Ohio for we are blessed with so much beauty all around us that we take for granted.



No comments:

Blogging tips