Web

1/16/2014

Using Paint To Fight Cabin Fever

Ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of year again where I struggle with cabin fever. The month ahead looks long and cold. This year I'm bound and determined to not let the mid-winter blues get to me, so I will be having a lot of DIY projects on my blog in the next couple of weeks.
I've fussed and complained over the color of this red cabinet that nests behind our kitchen table for the past two years. I even started using wrapping paper to help give it a new look.
Then, at Christmastime, I switched it out with a white birch wrapping paper, turning to desperate measures in an effort to like it. 
Last week, I had the urge to hibernate like a bear and decided to bring this piece back to life and transition it into a piece I will once again love!

So I went downstairs to my can cellar where I keep our leftover paint. Lo and behold, I found the perfect color to transform this ugly duckling into a lovely swan.
It was leftover from when I had my kitchen cabinets painted. You can view that blog here.
It was a chalky off-white/grey color. I took 150 grain sandpaper and hand-sanded it first just to rough it up, then gave it two coats of the paint. I was going to antique it with the paint that came with it, but I liked it so well I left as it was.
I roughed up a couple of corners with a little sanding, but not much.


Ideally, I would have used glass knobs, but for the time being, I painted them silver, sprinkled them with glitter, then clear-coated them. That will do until we find others.
In 3 hours, I had it put back together.  I love how the white milkglass and vignettes look on the newly-painted cabinets.

Am I glad I chose this over lying in bed and waiting for spring to arrive!?! YES!
So glad I did this. It makes me instantly happy when I look at it.
While I was at it, I also got rid of the red on this cabinet that serves as our pantry. It was a piece we acquired at Allen's grandparents' auction.

As of tomorrow morning, a big remodel is starting at our house, so stop by the blog to see what walls are coming down. Need to go prepare for the Amish construction crew that's showing up at here at 6 am. Yikes! Hoping to have more fun before-and-after blogs to show you soon.

No comments:

Blogging tips