Web

3/20/2014

Amish Meat Loaf Recipe and The Best Part of My Day

I made a delicious, hometown dinner tonight, perfect soul food for the cold, rainy day we were having.
I've been hungry for spinach salad for a while, so I finally made one to go along with our dinner tonight.
SPINACH SALAD
Spinach
Mushrooms
Clementine oranges
Red Onion
Feta Cheese
Marzetti Spinach Salad Dressing
I found the salad dressing by the lettuce at Rhode's and warmed it in the microwave before I poured it over the salad.
MEAT LOAF
  2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Dash pepper
1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions
 In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, saltines, onion, salt, sage and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into an 8-in. x 4-in. oval in an ungreased shallow baking pan.
  Combine the remaining ingredients; spread 3/4 cup over meat loaf. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining sauce.


DIXIE'S POTATOES



12 pounds shredded frozen potatoes
4 pounds shredded cheddar cheese 
2-32oz. French onion chip dip 
6 cans cream of chicken soups a lot and pepper to taste 

Directions 
I leave frozen potatoes in fridge overnight to thaw. Add all ingredients in roaster and set at 275 degrees for 6 hours. Don't stir it after it has started cooking.

This recipe for the potatoes, as you can see, is a bigger recipe than I used for tonight's dinner.
I decided to share the original recipe that is for an electric roaster. It's the best scalloped potatoes I've ever had and easy to make. I've served them for kids' school events, and they loved them.
What is dinner...
...without home-canned apple sauce. It is served with every cooked meal at our dinner table. Yes, I can 7 bushels a year, and sometimes we even run out of the harvest.
We have a couple of traditions at the Schlabach House that we like to keep. We eat dinner at 5 every night, and everyone sits at the dinner table to eat.
On most nights, we go around the table and everyone shares the best part of their day.
Today, this was the best part of my day! When I visited the production site for Lena's Amish Granola, this beautiful cake was sitting on top of the orders waiting to be delivered, a belated gift from my sweet friend Amanda who is gifted at decorating cakes. This talented Amish lady fills many different roles--wife, mother, and grandma. I was so grateful for the time she had put into it. Syd was even more delighted that it wasn't a chocolate cake, since she gave up chocolate for one year last August. She informed me that this is the first birthday cake we've had that wasn't chocolate since last summer.
As Fee showed Q how to load the dishwasher, my heart and belly were full.
Here is for celebrating another gloomy day of living in paradise.
I'm counting my blessings even though I'd love to be laying on Lido Beach. ;)




No comments:

Blogging tips