Web

4/25/2014

A Date Night With The Bench

I stopped by a garage sale yesterday. It was my first sale of the year. I spotted this antique bench as soon as I stepped out of the van. I had a visual on what it would look like after a date with me for one night.
Yes, you guessed it. It made its way home with me. First I took off the trim...
or I should say Syd took on this challenge.
The hubs was doing what he loved with his hobby by chainsaw carving and I was so happy to be doing one of my favorite hobbies too.
 I sanded down the bench and wiped it down with a dry rag.
To make my own milk paint I took plaster of paris and added...
2 cups of the powder to 1 cup of water, then whisked the paste together till it was smooth. Next I added 3 cups of white paint I had leftover from our bathroom makeovers.
That morning there was pancake batter in my Pyrex bowl and in the evening there was paint in it. Both times the treasured bowl washed up well.
Next I gave the bench 2 coats of the homemade paint. Once it was dry I sanded the corners and the edges. Next I wiped the bench down with a dry rag, then I waxed the bench.
I was so excited for the next step. Lets just say this was the part of the date that I was looking forward to the most. I had read on a blog of this gold polka dot burlap that Jo Ann Fabrics carries. I then stabled the burlap seat to the bench. I used the old seat cushion for the stuffing.
This morning I wiped the wax off and polished it up with a old dry rag. However I was still missing the trim and the date wasn't completed just yet.
So today I went to Zinck's outlet to find something that would finish up my date with this gem.
I read on Miss Mustard Seeds blog on how she just hot glued the trim onto the fabric to cover the staples.
I couldn't be happier how this date turned out. I went on a date with a ugly duckling and it blossomed into a beautiful swan.
To see this beauty in person you'll have to come to my Shed Opener Vintage Sale at my house on June 20, 21:)
 
 Set the date in your phone:)
Thanks for coming with me on this date and I hope I get to see you soon.




No comments:

Blogging tips