Web

10/07/2014

Amish Country Fall Drive with my Parents, and Canning Banana Peppers


Last Saturday, my mom wanted me to take her to pick up a few groceries, so I suggested that Dad ride along and we all take a little off-the-beaten-path way to get the things she needed. So hop in the back seat with Dad and enjoy the ride!



My intention was to drive slowly and get lost on little back roads. Dad had other plans. He walked out of his house with a smile and an Ohio road map. He always has to know which road we are not lost on. :-)



We headed north out of our hometown of Shreve on narrow roads, and the further north we got, the more colorful the fall foliage became.


There was so much beautiful farm land.


We came upon an Amish settlement close to Lodi, and my parents and I were intrigued with their simple life. Yes, my own parents are still Amish, but they are of a more modern Amish sect than this treasured settlement we had found.


We saw lots of laundry fluttering in the chilly, fall winds that were moving in from the west.


We let the buggy tracks and the horse poopoo direct our way as we slowly cruised down country roads. We turned the bend and met these two friendly dogs.


We stopped at this Amish produce stand where we bought peppers for 10 cents and tomatoes for 25 cents.


Loved the colorful trees behind the laundry on these lines.


Turned around for this capture. Wouldn't these old rusty mailboxes make a great shoe rack?


So peaceful! Now I want to drive this route to get groceries every time!


Look at those beautiful red leaves on that old roof!


We wondered if these tracks were still being used.



I gushed over this homestead and how it should be on the front page of Kinfolk Magazine.
A pear and an apple tree in your front yard, not to mention the wood shed filled for the winter that is to come.


I also backed up to get a shot of the tomatoes that were gathered on the front porch under grape vines that spread over the rafters.


I got a little chuckle over this sign at one of the many produce stands. Unfortunately, my parents didn't let me honk at this one. They informed me I'm not stopping at every stand. :)


Dad said, " Look! There's their bathtub hanging on their front porch!"


I asked "for real?" "YEP!" he said. "That will be their bathtub tonight, since its Saturday."


I said, "Look! That could be a puzzle!"


Absolutely loved the details in this quilt that was fluttering in the gusty winds.


Along with these Amish "barn door" pants that looked perfect with the red barn behind them.


Dad fussed over this big pile of logs with the small sawmill beside it. I, however, noticed how beautiful the buggy looked with the logs in the background.


Soon, we stopped off for some soup and......


...we hoped for apple dumplings, but this warm apple pie ala mode was just as good.


I went home with a couple of these pumpkins after putting my cash in the coffee can.


Many great memories during that couple of hours spent with my parents.


Before we headed for home, we stopped by yet another farmer's market.
They bought watermelon and...



...I bought a half-bushel of banana peppers.


After a relaxing drive in the country, I came home and canned our favorite pepper recipe that is so easy.

Canned Banana Peppers
1/2 bushels of banana peppers (deseeded and sliced)
1 gallon white vinegar
3 quarts cold water
6 cups white sugar
1 cup salt

Stir for a couple of minutes and pour cold brine over the peppers which have been packed into 13 quart jars.
Put lids on and store in cool area. No there is no need to seal jars. I've used this recipe for a couple of years and people ask for the recipe every time I serve it on a cheese plate or sandwiches.

I hope you enjoyed your ride in the back seat with Dad, and I hope you enjoyed this pepper recipe too.
Savor fall, as it will soon be whisked away!


No comments:

Blogging tips